Catholic Formation Series strengthen students’ spiritual lives

Here, Father Martin, MC, poses with some girls in their meeting in the Alumni Room. But now, this group meets on Mondays in the Campus Ministry room.

LeeAnne Bates, Staff Writer

“I go to the Catholic Formation Series because I think it’s important that I dedicate time in my day to growing closer to God,” said senior Atticus McCoy. Catholic Formation Series are lunch meetings that are available everyday so Cathedral students can have a place to learn a bit more about their spiritual life and connect with other students. Students gather in the Campus Ministry room or Alumni room every week to share a special connection with fellow students and God.

Meeting since September, 2013, Father Martin Latiff, MC, and Father Patrick, MC lead boys and girls on a path closer to God through the upcoming Sunday’s gospel, through a Christian virtue, or through a topic related to an upcoming feast day. Father Martin, MC, leads the boys meetings on Wednesdays and Fridays and he meets with the girls on Mondays. Father Patrick, MC, leads another girls meeting on Tuesdays and another boys meeting on Thursdays.

These meetings present a great way for students to practice their faith in their daily lives. Atticus McCoy said, “We focus on different virtues and precepts of the Church. We explore what they mean for us and we learn more about our faith.”

The first thing students do is say grace and then eat lunch, and usually pizza is available. The students begin to socialize and discuss how their week has been. Then, the meeting jumpstarts with another prayer to the Holy Spirit and a reading of the upcoming Sunday’s gospel. Finally, the group discusses the virtue for that week and closes in a prayer.

Senior Remy Jones, who attends the girls meetings, said, “The Campus Ministry room on Mondays is packed to the walls and it is amazing to see how God works through all of these wise young ladies.”

Any students that come to the meetings are inspired to grow in their faith and to further deepen their spiritual life, with the help of Father Martin, MC, and Father Patrick, MC. Everyone is welcome to attend any meeting, and it is highly encouraged because many students thoroughly enjoy these spiritual meetings. Remy Jones said, “It’s the best time of my week.”