Valentine’s Day: Survive and Thrive

Valentines Day: Survive and Thrive

Emily Fields, Columnist

My nose automatically wrinkles when I see the first blood-red sign announcing the arrival of Candy Grams. In my experience, they serve almost exclusively as a playful joke. Two years in a row, friends have sent me a handful each, garnering intense pleasure from my discomfort. Shy, hopeful middle-schoolers might send their rosy-cheeked crushes a sweet note, but still lacking the nerve to approach the opposite sex in high school is a pity at best, and a mockable faux pas at worst. This is how the prestigious Cathedral Catholic High School celebrates Saint Valentine.

Catholic legend plays a large role in February 14th festivities, with several martyred saints associated with the holiday. For example, one such figure is said to have helped Christians escape Roman persecution, and while in jail awaiting his death sent the woman he loved notes signed – here’s the kicker – “from your Valentine.” As with most popular holidays, there are also pagan ties to the day. It is generally believed to be the modernized (and Christianized) version of Lupercalia, an ancient Roman fertility festival. Whatever the origin, Valentine’s Day in modern times mostly consists of cheesy pink and red M&M commercials and a suspicious increase in jewelry advertisements.

No doubt the population of students at Cathedral that identify themselves as part of a relationship appreciate the holiday, it being the one day out of 365 where shouting “cupcake” and “sweetykins” will not elicit incredulous stares. The majority of students, however, share my response to Valentine’s Day. When questioned about their plans, most people laugh, more people shrug, and a great deal reply with solemn resignation, “Netflix.” Eager Facebook chats have a tendency to sprout into existence the week preceding the fateful day, chipper individuals intent on organizing a nice dinner or movie night; a crowd of “besties” serves as substitutes for a cuddle buddy.

Mass media shames people for being comfortable enough with themselves to stay single. Current sentiments are reminiscent of the archetypical geek forced to bring his or her cousin to the prom in order to avoid the embarrassment of dancing alone. Unlike in these stories, people are not allowed a “get out of public ridicule” free card by simply taking an awkward relative to dinner. When in doubt, it seems safest to remain indoors, where no one can be sure that your only date is the warm glow of the television. I myself will unabashedly be spending this Saturday in a dark, cool movie theater, enjoying a film that fits a modern connotations of Valentine’s Day.

Here’s more information on the origin of Valentine’s Day:

http://www.history.com/topics/valentines-day/history-of-valentines-day