Let Advent be Advent

Let Advent be Advent

As Catholics, students of Cathedral know that Advent is the month leading up to Christmas. But does that mean we really know what it is truly all about? Advent is the beginning of the church’s liturgical year, and it means we, as a believing community, await the Lord’s second coming and experience the joy of His first coming. Advent is also known as the “Season of Hope.”

The four-week cycle of Advent is represented by 4 candles. The first, second, and fourth week are symbolized by a purple candle but the third week is identified by a pink candle which symbolizes the Sunday of joy.

According to Cathedral chaplain and religion teacher Father Kelly, “The first two weeks of Advent point to Christ’s glory and the last two weeks point to all the promises that the scripture have fulfilled.”

Advent is a time of joy and hope for the religious. Some good ways to celebrate the Advent season are dedicating oneself to prayer with God, going to Mass, and trying to be a more quiet and meditative than usual. Fr. Kelly said, “Reading scripture and the Bible helps me.”

Although the temptations of material objects surround us during the holiday season, and we are sometimes lured into believing that the month of December is about receiving gifts, we must resist these enticements quickly and look at what is truly important about Christmas. The season of Advent is about seeing Christ more in our lives. Advent brings about a sense of happiness and delight, while Lent, another time in the church’s liturgical year that leads up to Easter, is the season of penance and almsgiving.

With new technology and products to buy, most would think that the general population would be consumed with the idea of presents and “getting” during the Christmas season. However, according to Fr. Kelly, this is not the case. He said, “I think your generation, and the generation of your parents, are observing and participating in the true spirit of Advent.”

So if you are struggling with putting the season of Advent and Christmas first, just remember to let Advent be Advent, and go out and shop for others, with sincere generosity, not out of obligation.