Dangerous car crash shakes up student

CCHS student Charlotte Considine’s Audi Q5 was totaled by the driver of this Honda Accord. With three high schools located on Del Mar Heights Rd., driving safety is a major concern.

Kate Garofalo

Kate Garofalo

Claire Coll, Social Media Editor

A Cathedral Catholic High School student is healing from serious injuries after being involved recently in a car accident with an unconscious driver in diabetic shock on Del Mar Heights Road.

While waiting at a stoplight, CCHS student Charlotte Considine ’18 was hit by a Honda Accord whose driver’s blood sugar level reached an imbalance, causing an insulin shock.

“It was the scariest moment of my life,” Considine said.

While Considine’s injuries include a concussion, a dislocated collar bone, scrapes, and bruises, the driver of the Honda Accord remains in a coma after being hit by a semitrailer following the first collision.

“I remember my phone buzzing next to me and then being scared because I couldn’t reach it,” Considine said. “I felt helpless.”

Although her car was totaled after being thrown against a tree, Considine is thankful to be alive and breathing.

In addition, Mr. and Mrs. Steven and Gina Considine purchased a replacement vehicle for Charlotte’s Audi Q5 that was covered by their insurance company.

“I was so worried that my parents would be upset about my car, but they reassured me that my car was replaceable, unlike me.” Considine said. “They were more concerned about my health and safety.”

This unfortunate accident shines light on the broader issue of teen driving safety.

According to the California Department of Motor Vehicles, drivers aged 16 to 19 years old are more likely to crash than any other age group. Adolescents must realize the severity that comes along with getting a driver’s license, a rite of passage that elates and haunts 16-year-old students every year.

However, students need to understand that this test requires a level of maturity needed to power a heavy motorized vehicle.

“I never thought something like that would happen to me, but I’m glad I’m all right,” Considine said.

She is currently enduring a concussion that is forcing her to take a break from her role on the Dons varsity tennis team.

“I need this time to rest and recover, but I will miss my team,” Considine said.