Should they stay or should they go?

Lauren Rabbitte, Staff Writer

Despite the best intentions of the Cathedral Catholic High School administration to foster a unified school body, changes to the student dress, cheer, and class competition parameters at school-sponsored pep rallies have diminished the overall enjoyment of the thrice yearly events, according to many CCHS students.

“I just want to make sure [rallies are] safe,” CCHS Principal Kevin Calkins said. “In a sense, we have created these factions of the freshman with the seniors and the sophomores with the juniors. The goal is to balance individual class cheers with the ‘This is Our House’ cheer.”

Changes to the rally format were prompted after students rushing the floor at last year’s fall rally resulted in minor injuries, including bruises, scratches, and bumps. Younger students were especially vulnerable as their lighter body frames did not withstand bumping against heavier, older students.

In total, the school submitted 10 incident reports detailing the extent of injuries, said CCHS Nurse Kate Pe.

“There wasn’t any blood, but one freshman girl’s head was stomped,” Ms. Pe said.

The purpose of  high school pep rallies is to encourage school spirit within the student community. The noise is often loud and contains a lot of energy due to the students excitement. Joy shows on students’ faces by wearing costumes and cheering.

However, some students believe the joy has been diminished at pep rallies.

“Each class had spirit, but now it has lost that because we all have to look the same, wearing red shirts and jeans,” CCHS student Kathrine McConville ’17 said.

As a result, some students believe rallies no longer serve their intended purpose, leading students to question whether or not rallies should remain or be abandoned.

“After all, the fun has been removed,” CCHS student Nick Jones ’17 said.

Mr. Calkins views rallies differently.

“I certainly find enjoyment in them but they have to be safe and unifying,” he said.

Changes in rally rules include no wearing of costume, no belittling opposing classes with chants, and wearing same colored shirts. As a result, students are not allowed to dress up as characters related to a rally’s particular theme.

“The rallies toward the end of last year were bizarre,” CCHS security guard Anthony Smith said. “I’m glad no one got hurt last year.”

ASB, which helps organize the rallies, holds its own opinion regarding rallies.

“As student leaders on ASB, we are working really hard to ensure that students enjoy the rallies we plan, regardless of the new restrictions we have face this year,” Kaylie Marie ’17 said. “The rallies this year have been fun, but I definitely miss the freedom that we have had in the years prior.”

So, the question remains as to whether or not rallies should stay or go?

“They should stay because it’s nice to see the different sports and teams that we have on campus,” McConville said.