CCHS drama takes flight with Bye Bye Birdie

Photo by LeeAnne Bates

Teens from Sweet Apple, Ohio dance with Conrad Birdie during CCHS drama department’s rendition of Michael Stewart’s musical comedy film Bye Bye Birdie. The show runs through this weekend.

LeeAnne Bates, Sports Editor

Playing in front of three consecutive sold out audiences last weekend in the Guadalupe Center, the Cathedral Catholic High School drama department performed its spring showcase of the 1963 musical comedy Bye Bye Birdie, holding its audience captive with a wide range of hilarious subplots and catchy tunes.  

Based loosely on the real life events surrounding the entry of Elvis Presley into the U.S. Army, the play features a young talent agent named Mr. Albert Peterson, played by Henry Pedersen ’17, and the obstacles he faces trying to get out of debt and save his dying relationship with his secretary Ms. Rosie Alvarez, played by Julia Way ’16.

Mr. Peterson, Conrad Birdie’s agent, is in the music business and finds himself in debt after promoting Mr. Birdie, who is a musical star and teenage heartthrob. As Mr. Peterson’s debt grows, Mr. Birdie finds himself drafted into the U.S. Army. Further complicating the plot, Ms. Alvarez grows tired of being Mr. Peterson’s second priority in life behind his mother, who is played by Jenna Viana ’18, and she decides to leave her position as Mr. Peterson’s secretary.

In an attempt to prevent his bankruptcy and save his relationship, Mr. Peterson follows Ms. Alvarez to Sweet Apple, Ohio to promote Mr. Birdie before sending him off to war.  Along the journey, the audience learns of Kim MacAfee, a rabid teenage fan played by Natalie Hynes ’17, and her role in Mr. Peterson’s plan to promote Mr. Birdie, who is supposed to kiss Ms. MacAfee before he leaves for war.

However, a conflict arises between Ms. MacAfee and her jealous boyfriend Mr. Hugo Peabody, played by Nicholas Garcia ’18. The two relationships are unstable and the audience hangs on every line, wondering “what’s next?”

The performance starts out with a lively tune played by the pit, which is filled with current CCHS students and some professional instrumentalists. The mix brings inspired music to the audience and serves as a learning experience for the students playing with the professionals.

All the actors and actresses perform with fervor and passion, especially Pederson, Hynes and Tate Haynes ’17, who plays Mr. Birdie in this his first acting gig.

Certain roles like Gloria Rasputin, played by Kennedy Didier ’16, Ursula Merkle, played by Emily Smedley ’18, Mrs. Doris MacAfee, played by Delaney Grazier ’16, Mr. Harry MacAfee, played by Nicholas Blischak ’16, and Peabody offer comic relief with either sassy or blunt lines.

The backstage crew works speedily through transitional music, appearing to have no struggle moving set piece after set piece. The set design is well conceived for each scene, gleaming with bright colors and details. The costume design also brings a certain light to the stage with different costumes for every actor on the stage. The clothing is classy and functional for each choreographed dance.

Bye Bye Birdie showcases young talent, providing many opportunities for more than 70 CCHS students to learn something new and to explore new limits. Through the difficulties with love and careers, Bye Bye Birdie is a cute play for individuals and families to enjoy.

The run continues this weekend in front of three more sold out audiences.