Countdown to graduation hits double-digits

A+99-day+countdown+begins+until+June+4%2C+2016%2C+the+day+Cathedral+Class+of+2016+will+celebrate+its+graduation.+

A 99-day countdown begins until June 4, 2016, the day Cathedral Class of 2016 will celebrate its graduation.

Julia Way, News Editor

Today marks 99 days until the Cathedral Catholic High School Class of 2016 will celebrate its graduation. Yes, that countdown does include spring break and weekends. With a dwindling number of days left at CCHS, seniors anticipate the soon-arriving festivities of their last semester of high school.

24 Days until Spring Break

“Since we have two weeks off for Spring Break this year I’m going on a bunch of college visits,” Chasen Dobos-Bubno ’16 said. “When I get back, I’m going to go to the beach a lot and just spend some time with all my friends.”

With Easter falling in late March this year, the two-week spring break for CCHS is the perfect opportunity for seniors to visit colleges. Del Mar and La Jolla beaches will be crowded with students for those two weeks, so whether students are planning on it or not, they will get to hang out beachside with some of their classmates.

49 Days until the Senior Boat Dance

“The boat dance is one of our last opportunities to hang out with just our senior class,” Shawn Sporl ’16 said. “Every year we had events like class movie nights and class dances, and I’m excited for our last seniors-only event.”

The annual Senior Boat Dance is a highlight of the graduation season, as the cruise around the San Diego harbor affords seniors an opportunity to make memories with their classmates.

57 Days until Prom

“Out of all the events before graduation I’m most looking forward to Prom,” Mimi Burbank ’16 said. “I’m just really excited to get all nice and dolled up with all my friends one last time. I almost can’t believe it’s our last high school dance!”

One of the defining experiences for senior year is the Prom. Though seniors share their prom with juniors, it is a special evening for the Class of 2016. Only 59 days until every CCHS student’s Instagram is flooded with pictures from the senior’s last dance.

78 Days until the Senior Trip to Knott’s Berry Farm

“I can’t wait to take over the park with all my classmates,” Noah Tiu ’16 said. “Having the park to ourselves is going to be so much fun, and I think it’ll be my favorite event leading up to graduation.”

Every year the senior class is treated to a trip to Knott’s Berry Farm to celebrate its impending graduation. For two hours, the CCHS Class of 2016 gets the whole park to itself, allowing it to take advantage of riding the park’s roller coasters and the rides with virtually no lines. The trip to Knott’s Berry Farm is the last time seniors will get the opportunity to hang out with all of their classmates before they toss their caps at graduation.

99 Days until Graduation

“Even though I’m starting to get sentimental about my time at Cathedral, I’m ready for graduation,” Lindsey Tapia ’16 said. “I’m ready to embark on a new experience, no matter which college I end up at.”

In just 99 days, members of the Class of 2016 will go their separate ways. Regardless of whether students are planning on heading east for college or staying home in San Diego, seniors are excited to make some lasting memories in these last few months they have together. Even though their time at CCHS is coming to an end, seniors should remember that “once a Don, always a Don”.