Presidential election stirs controversy among students and faculty

Joe Baini, Staff Writer

With the upcoming end to a presidential term comes an exciting time for people to exercise their right as citizens to vote.

At Cathedral Catholic High School, diverse opinions regarding the best selection for president are abundant with students and faculty alike supporting different candidates. From Bernie Sanders to Donald Trump, students and faculty are staying politically informed and involved in this year’s election.

As the United States strives to keep its position as the global world power, it is important for people to vote for a respectable candidate who can lead the country to economic growth.

“I really believe Bernie Sanders is a candidate that is close to the people,” Mr. Keith Warrick, CCHS Christian morality teacher, said. “He works for the people, and is trying to get rid of this corrupt system we have with special interest groups.”

It is important for citizens to vote in this election, as only 42 percent of Americans voted in the 2012 elections, the lowest voter turnout since 1978. Since many issues are facing the country today, it is important that the next president advocate for productive policies regarding economic growth, foreign policy and global warming.

According to national polls as of this week, the top three Republican front runners include Donald Trump in first place, Ted Cruz in second, and Marco Rubio in third, even though Cruz won Monday night in the Iowa caucus. For the Democratic Party, Hillary Clinton is in first place, followed by Bernie Sanders and finally Martin O’Malley, who dropped out of the race after the Iowa caucus.

“I think Donald Trump is going to win this election,” Cole Stafford 16′ said.
Every time he says something controversial, his polls go up. It just shows how many people are angry with the Obama administration.”

Former Alaskan Governor Sarah Palin’s recent backing of president-hopeful Trump helps him gain votes from Palin supporters. Palin wields an important voice in the Republican Party, which can help Trump significantly.

However, some people agree that Trump’s policies about immigration and foreign policy are unrealistic. For example, according to Forbes, the United States would have to spend between $400 billion to $600 billion to build a wall separating Mexico and the U.S., something Trump wants to do while in office. But the numbers are too high for lawmakers to agree on.

“Trump just speaks his mind,” Alonso Lizarraga 16’ said. “People like what he says, but realistically he doesn’t explain what exactly he is going to do. His policies seem to be crafted by high schoolers.”

Some people do not know who their vote will go to. For many voters, Sanders is too socialist, Trump is too unrealistic, Clinton is too shady, Rubio is too tied to special interests and Carson is too weak of a leader.

Students must stay politically informed regarding the 2016 presidential election, especially considering many senior students will cast a vote for the first time this year. Election season is an exciting time of the year, as people see new potential in presidential candidates and new opportunity for the country as a whole.