Schola, Orchestra and Band collaborate for Christmas concert

Photo by Julia Way

The Drummin’ Dons kicked off the Christmas Concert with a bang last night.

Julia Way, News Editor

With little more than a week to go before Christmas break, the Christmas Concert started off the holiday festivities with a bang.

Opening the show with a twist on a Christmas classic, the Cathedral Catholic High School Drumline marched in from the back of the theater playing “The Little Drummin’ Don”. Led by Ms. Jessica Swift and Mr. Pat Robell, the CCHS Schola Choir, Orchestra and Band took to the Guadalupe Theater Stage to perform their one-night Christmas Concert. The stage became a melting pot for amateur and experienced musicians and singers alike to join together and usher in the holiday season.

“The programs are all really trying to support one another and coming together like this is one of the most successful ways we’ve been able to do so,” said Mr. Pat Robell, Director of Music Ministry and Schola.

The CCHS Orchestra consists of all of the string instruments, while Band is made up of the woodwind and brass instruments. Many Orchestra and Band members are also part of Campus Ministry Schola, whose choir singers lent their voices to the concert. Together the three ensembles performed the 13 song concert, featuring selections such as “Jingle Bell Rock” and a condensed “3 Minute Nutcracker”, which left audience members impressed with the combined talent of the groups.

“I was amazed with the talent and the excitement in the room,” Mrs. Gail Beall, concert attendee and former music teacher at St. Patrick’s Catholic School.  “Just the fact that there were three groups onstage at once was extraordinary.”

Last night’s performance was the first time the three groups merged on one stage, and Ms. Swift took a few moments between songs to reflect on the diversity onstage. Some musicians had only picked up their instrument a little over 3 months ago, while others had up to 10 years of experience. To Ms. Swift, the opportunity to meld different levels of experience together is one of the most enjoyable parts of her job.

“For the students to be able to enjoy music, even if they thought they couldn’t before or alongside somebody more experienced, is as good as it gets,” Ms. Swift, Director of Music, said.

Many students echoed Ms. Swift’s thoughts on enjoying their time collaborating on the concert. To some students, the Christmas Concert allowed them to reflect on what matters to them this holiday season.

“It felt so great to be able to come together and welcome this special season,” Schola member Willy Li ’16 said. “It felt good to remind people what matters and that’s family, like the one we have here at Cathedral.”