CCHS drama says hello to Bye Bye Birdie

Photo by cbsnews.com

The 2009 Broadway revival cast of Bye Bye Birdie performs the show-stopping song “You Gotta Be Sincere”.

Julia Way, News Editor

Auditions for Cathedral Catholic High School drama department’s winter production of Bye Bye Birdie began yesterday and will continue after school today and tomorrow.

CCHS drama invites all students to audition for its performance of the 1961 Tony Award-winning musical, no matter the student’s experience level. Drama veterans and Ms. Katie Wilson encourage students to get out of their comfort zones and join the “drama family”.

“It’s going to be so fun,” drama veteran Henry Pederson ’17 said. “You are going to make so many friends and once you get yourself onstage it’s a feeling like nothing else.”

Set in the 1950s, Bye Bye Birdie tells the story of the Elvis-esque rock star, Conrad Birdie, who has just been drafted into the Army. His agents arrange a last-ditch publicity stunt, to have Birdie perform a new song “One Last Kiss” and give one lucky girl from one of his thousand fans a goodbye kiss on the The Ed Sullivan Show on the eve before Birdie is shipped overseas. This plan takes Conrad and his agents to Sweet Apple, Ohio, where the small town erupts in a frenzy over the Army-bound rockstar.

“This is a huge show, filled to the brim with song and dance numbers,” Ms. Wilson said. “I’m looking for people who really want to work hard for this show.”

Students interested in auditioning should prepare a one minute song of their choice and bring an accompaniment track. After completing the vocal audition, students need to attend the dance audition next Monday or Tuesday, where a short, basic movement combination will be taught. Students earning a callback, will read for certain characters and scenes on Wednesday-Friday of next week. While some students might see this process as intimidating, CCHS drama veterans want to assure newcomers that Ms. Wilson makes everyone feel welcome at auditions.

“I was nervous to audition for my first show, but Ms. Wilson is really chill and a lot of fun to audition for,” Claire Hoffman ’18 said.

CCHS Drama becomes a second family for many students, as the cast spends almost every day together rehearsing for their performances. Ms. Wilson said she has never heard of anyone regretting their time working on a show at Cathedral, only those who wish they had gotten involved earlier.

“I had so much fun in the spring show last year,” CCHS drama graduate, Chris Nagma ’15 said. “I just wish I had done the shows earlier. Drama is a family everyone should want to be part of.”