CCHS Health Department informs students about true meaning of October

Michaela Jacobs, Staff Writer

From pink ribbons to athletes sporting pink apparel, breast cancer awareness has spread at Cathedral Catholic High School throughout the month of October.

“Pink was in the air,” sophomore Lindsey Biskup said.

According to the American Cancer Society, one in eight women, or 12 percent of women in the U.S., develop invasive breast cancer during their lifetime. Statistics indicate that breast cancer is the second most common cancer for women following skin cancer.

On Oct. 29, CCHS celebrated ‘pink day.’ An abundance of Dons celebrated the cause by wearing pink. From socks to polos to bracelets, pink was worn on campus in a variety of ways.

“I just love getting into the spirit of bringing awareness to National Breast Cancer Awareness Month,” sophomore Maddy Gustini said. “Seeing all these people wear pink really made me think about what today meant.”

Mrs. Deb Hilinski, head nurse at CCHS, wants students, especially females, to recognize the facts and signs of breast cancer. Girls can become aware about the signs of breast cancer and gain more information by talking to their primary physician.

Consistently asking questions, whether it be to a family member, a friend, or familiar figure of authority is a simple way to gain insight on the ongoing issue. Mrs. Hilinksi stresses that many women have been affected by breast cancer, more than one might think.

“Always be compassionate and be there for anyone who has had breast cancer or has been affected by the disease in any way,” Mrs. Hilinski said.