CCHS goes green with new LEDs

CCHS hopes to save money and to preserve the environment with new LEDs.

Lauren Sanchez, Staff Writer

Cathedral Catholic High School is “going green” with new lighting, continuing the LED lighting project started last year.

“Our facilities department will switch out the old lights with LED bulbs,” Ms. Blackstone-Gardener said. “By the end of this month, every classroom will have them.”

Last year, the CCHS facilities department started the project to help the school conserve energy. These efforts started with the gym, where the lights were replaced. Now, a year later, the project is finally coming to a close. Starting in November, every room on campus will be illuminated by LEDs.

“We have LEDs in the Learning Center already,” junior Jesus Ramos said. “I really like them.”

Marking the end of this year-long effort, CCHS hopes to become a more environmentally friendly, cost-efficient school. The change will not only work to conserve electricity, but save money for the school.

According to a report published by San Diego Gas and Electric, LEDs provide the same amount of light as incandescent [regular] bulbs, can last up to 10 times longer and can save an average household up to $500 a year.

This move is hoped to lower the school debt. Serving a dual purpose, the switch will expectantly bring many positive effects on campus.