Former Dons help current Dons with college admissions advice

An array of universities compete for seniors’ favor during the college application season.

Celine Aubry-Dumand, Editor-in-Chief

The college application season, an exciting and sometimes overwhelming process, beckons for the Class of 2016, causing trepidation for even the most undaunted soon-to-be graduate.

But never fear seniors as Cathedral Catholic High School’s most recent graduates return to offer advice to current Dons applying to college. Having gone through the process themselves at the same time last year, these college freshmen know what it was like applying to college.

“Applying to college was one of the most stressful things I had to do in high school,” 2015 graduate of CCHS Isabel E, who now attends Emerson University in the city of Boston, said. “But in the end, applying to college was a rewarding experience because I got into the college I knew would be perfect for me.”

Despite the inevitable pressure that comes with the application process, CCHS’s current college freshmen alumni suggest that senior students search for the perfect college “fit”, to make sure the colleges they are considering are somewhere they actually see themselves spending the next four years of their lives.

“Find the school that will make you the happiest, because at the end of the day, the school you choose is where you will be spending four of the best and most important years of your life,” CCHS 2015 graduate and former Editor-in-Chief of El Cid, Nicole Ann Lobo, said. “Make sure it’s somewhere you are happy, and make sure it’s a decision you won’t regret.”

Lobo, a freshman at Columbia University in New York City, chose to attend Columbia for three reasons.

“The feeling, the fit, and my future,” Lobo said. “I truly believe that when you walk onto a campus, you know whether a school is right for you or not; you get the “feeling”.

Ray Smith, a freshman football player at Boston College this year, stresses that high school students, especially seniors, should “visit as many schools as [they] can before making the final decision.”

Students feel comfortable having familiarized themselves with a school’s setting and surroundings, especially at bigger schools.

Majoring in electrical engineering at Cal Poly SLO, freshman Nick Lampee said, “Be open minded! I went into the whole process thinking I wanted to go to a private school where I could find people just like me, where there would be small classes, where all the facilities would be state-of-the-art, and where I could be my same old self. I ended up going to a public university that kind of intimidated me when I first visited it.”

ASB Executive President, senior Matt Elliott, speaks for most seniors when he talks about the stressful, first semester of senior year.

“My stress is definitely very high right now because I still have a lot of work to complete and it’s hard to balance it with the time I need for my other schoolwork and sports,” Elliott said.

As for the seniors whose first priority is to finish their college essays before pushing the ‘submit’ button, time is ticking and applications should be ready to submit in the next few days, weeks or months depending on specific college deadlines.

“Seniors should have the final copies of their essays now,” counselor Ms. Ashley Bascom said. “They should also have their list finalized with safety schools.”

All counselors recommend staying organized, specifically with deadlines and specific school requirements.

“As we tell everyone,” Ms. Bascom said, “college deadlines are different than cathedral deadlines. Apply broadly, to reach, safety and target schools.”

As seniors struggle through the next few months applying to colleges, the counselors at school are available to help reduce stress levels and clarify any confusion about the college application process.

Seniors are looking forward to their second and final semester of senior year, when most schools will begin sending their acceptance letters.