New Options Program wins award, goes “above and beyond” in disability education

AJ O'Hara, Staff Writer

Cathedral Catholic High School prides itself at having it all. We have over seventy athletic teams, courses ranging from Oceanography to Engineering, and we were the first school in San Diego to introduce iPads as textbooks. Our Options Program is the most recent addition to the greatest high school in California. Not even a year old, the Options Program has won Cathedral the Down Syndrome Association of San Diego’s Star Award.

Otherwise known as the DSA, this association “selects individuals, organizations, and programs that exemplify quality, innovation and commitment to enhance the Quality of Life for People with Down Syndrome and their families,” according to the DSA. “This prestigious award acknowledges individuals and organizations in San Diego County, who have made a significant contribution, benefitting people with Down Syndrome and other intellectual disabilities.”

The DSA additionally recognized Cathedral’s own Dr. Meg Burton for her individual contributions, as well as, the students’ input. The DSA has congratulated Cathedral for going “above and beyond” by establishing a quality education program for students with intellectual disabilities.

Mrs. Burton, who leads our Options Program with student mentors, took part in the DSA’s Annual Buddy Walk in downtown San Diego this past October. The DSA has thanked our group, commending them on displaying inspiration, care, respect, and commitment to the DSA’s worthy cause.

The award ceremony took place on Saturday, March 21st, at the Hilton in Mission Bay. The gala included a dinner service and silent auction. Cathedral was represented by Dr. Burton, Ms. Conroy, Mrs. Benson, Mr. Silva, and Miss Keller.

When asked if she believed we deserved the award, Mrs Burton said, “Yes, I believe we did. It’s about them recognizing us because we are the only Catholic school in California serving those with disabilities.” Additionally, Cathedral was not nominated for the award, which goes to show our school stands out as a force for helping those with disabilities.

Dr. Burton and our Options Program have given Cathedral a good name in the eyes of a respected organization in the DSA. The DSA Star award holds high prestige, and is a testament to the great work Cathedral does for its community on a daily basis.