New ASB Executives hope to foster passion, creativity

From+left+to+right%3A+Vice+President+Alyssa+Carroll%2C+President+Matthew+Elliott%2C+Secretary+Jane+Mezzino%2C+and+Treasurer+Sean+Carr%2C+who+will+serve+on+ASB+for+the+2015-2016+school+year+

From left to right: Vice President Alyssa Carroll, President Matthew Elliott, Secretary Jane Mezzino, and Treasurer Sean Carr, who will serve on ASB for the 2015-2016 school year

Julia Way, Staff Writer

“The most important thing about being a leader is being passionate about what you do,” said junior Alyssa Carroll. Alyssa will serve as ASB’s Executive Vice President for the 2015-2016 school year. She will serve alongside Executive Secretary Jane Mezzino and Executive Treasurer Sear Carr. Heading Cathedral’s Associated Student Body next year is junior Matthew Elliott, who has served three years as the President of the Class of 2016.

“I’ve been on ASB for so long that I know how it works and feel I’ll do a good job running it,” said Matthew. His biggest plans for next year include trying to foster more school sprit and participation through dances and rallies and he feels that his leadership skills will allow him to pick the best ideas and set them in motion.
His Vice President, junior Alyssa Carroll, shares his goal and hopes to come up with creative events that Cathedral students will want to participate in a at school. Alyssa has been the Class of 2016 Vice President for three years and views her role on ASB as a “fun way” to get involved in many different ways on campus. Most importantly, Alyssa wants to get more students excited about what’s happening on campus and to turn students’ ideas into possibilities.

Secretary Jane Mezzino (second to left) is excited "to get some cool stuff on campus and get access to some new kinds of resources," she said.
Secretary Jane Mezzino (second to left) is excited “to get some cool stuff on campus and get access to some new kinds of resources,” she said.

Jane Mezzino, who currently serves as a Commissioner of Public Relations and will take over as the ASB Executive Secretary next year, and she looks forward to pushing ASB to expand beyond dances and rallies. Jane hopes to plan new events that will try to “incorporate the arts and introduce less mainstream activities to the ASB repertoire,” she said.

Making sure ASB “doesn’t go broke” and trying to guarantee fun dances and rallies for next year are main goals for Executive Treasurer Sean Carr. Sean, the current Commissioner of Clubs, hopes that next year he will have the ability to keep ASB within budget, while still accommodating all of the ideas of his cabinet.
With the even more recent election of the Classes of 2017 and 2018 class officers, ASB now has twelve out of 34 positions filled for next year’s cabinet. The Class of 2016 has yet to vote on their class officers. While the incoming Class of 2019 will not decide on their class officers until September, there are still fourteen Commissioner positions available.

There are seven actual Commissioner positions, but they are shared by two people. The positions of Commissioners of Audio/Video Production, Activities, Athletics, Clubs, Public Relations, Spirit, and Visual Arts are available to apply for this upcoming year. Commissioners are not voted upon by the students, but are selected by Ms. Lagrimas, the ASB advisor, and current cabinet members.

There will be an informational meeting for students interested in applying for a Commissioner position on the Tuesday students return from Easter Break, April 14th. The Executives hope that their cabinet for will be filled with spirited, organized, and dedicated people. Matthew Elliot said, ” I want creative people who are eager to serve and not afraid to put themselves out in front of a crowd.”