New “hydration stations” work towards going green

Pictured+here+is+a+Cathedral+student+filling+their+water+bottle+at+the+Librarys+hydration+station+

Pictured here is a Cathedral student filling their water bottle at the Library’s hydration station

Julia Way, Staff Writer

Bursting into her first period class, junior Kylie Freitas said, “Have you guys tried the new water? It tastes so good!” Cathedral students and faculty are buzzing with praise for the new “hydration stations,” which were installed last week. Spearheading “Cathedral’s green movement” is Mr. Sal Aiello, Director of Facilities.

Bursting into her first period class, junior Kylie Freitas said, “Have you guys tried the new water? It tastes so good!” Cathedral students and faculty are buzzing with praise for the new “hydration stations” which were installed last week. Spearheading “Cathedral’s green movement” is Mr. Sal Aiello, Director of Facilities.

Pure Water Technology manufactures the units that can now be found on each floor of the academic buildings, the library, the Kolbe and Claver Centers, and the weight room. The San Diego based company boasts “The World’s Most Advanced Point of Use Drinking Water System” and has the research and technology to back it up. Each Pure Water system is equipped with four filters and a stainless steel holding tank which uses activated oxygen to “eliminate microbiological contamination and raise the oxygen level of the water.” Each tank holds a capacity of 80 gallons of filtered and chilled water, and there is also a hot water feature.

Mr. Aiello hopes that the new additions to Cathedral’s campus will encourage students to think about “going green” with the water stations and using refillable water bottles. “Moving forward, hopefully we can eliminate the use of disposable water bottles and reduce our carbon footprint as a community,” said Mr. Aiello.

Not only are the Pure Water stations eco-friendly, they are also cost effective. In the past, Cathedral contracted Sparkletts to deliver water for the 8 stations on campus, most of which were not accessible to students. With almost double the amount of the Sparklett stations, Cathedral’s fifteen new “hydration stations” stand to “save Cathedral a couple hundred dollars a month,” he said.

Mr. Aiello and twelve other faculty and staff members founded the “Green Team” this year to pave the way for a green movement at Cathedral. Though the team is currently comprised of educators and administrators only, they do plan to reach out to students in the future.

“It’s important to the Green Team that students see their teachers and administrators getting involved in the green movement. We hope to be more involved with student-led clubs like the Environmental Club and Gardening Club to support student efforts to go green,” Mr. Aiello said.

With the installation of the Pure Water stations completed, Mr. Aiello and the Green Team turn their focus to the Assisi Garden and to improving the light fixtures on campus. The team hopes to get the Assisi Garden, which opened earlier this year, up and running for students to use for labs and gardening. Mr. Aiello has also been looking into solar-powered lights for the pool and LED lights for the Claver Center. The installation of the Pure Water stations is the Green Team’s first completed project, and they hope to accomplish much more.

With this advancement towards sustainability, students can now enjoy their water guilt-free in an environmentally friendly way, and Mr. Aiello and Pure Water Technology hope that more Cathedral students will join them in their efforts to “Go Beyond Green.”

Pure Water Technology manufactures the units that can now be found on each floor of the academic buildings, the library, the Kolbe and Claver Center, and the weight room. The San Diego based company boasts “The World’s Most Advanced Point of Use Drinking Water System” and has the research and technology to back it up. Each Pure Water system is equipped with four filters and a stainless steel holding tank, which uses activated oxygen to “eliminate microbiological contamination and raise the oxygen level of the water.” Each tank holds a capacity of 80 gallons of filtered and chilled water, and there is also a hot water feature.

With the installation of the Pure Water stations completed, Mr. Aiello and the Green Team turn their focus to the Assisi Garden and to improving the light fixtures on campus. The team hopes to get the Assisi Garden, which opened earlier this year, up and running for students to use for labs and gardening. Mr. Aiello has also been looking into solar-powered lights for the pool and LED lights for the Claver Center. The installation of the Pure Water stations is the Green Team’s first completed project and they hope to accomplish much more.