Dance team prepares for Jingle Ball performance

Mitchell Sigesmund, Staff Writer

You may have seen the posters around school advertising Dance Team’s upcoming Jingle Ball. Jingle Ball is a one-time event that takes place this year on Saturday, December 5th at 6:30 p.m.. Tickets are $5 per student. You may now be wondering, “What is so special about this upcoming event?”

This year, dance team has a new head coach. “Our old coach[Sarah Orbita] left because her husband was deployed,” said senior Vanessa Collins. “We liked our old coach, but our new coach has made good changes. Coach has adjusted quickly to our team and we have adjusted quickly to her,” said senior Ashlyn Whelan.

Their new coach, Mrs. Ashley Monzon, had coached the JV Dance Team for the past two years. “Coach Ashley was a Cheerleader for the San Diego Chargers for six years,”said Ashlyn Whelan. Ashlyn also said, “She was a leader on the team and is bringing that leadership to our Dance Team.” Freshman Dancer Emi Heisterkamp said, “Coach Ashley has a lot to offer us, such as great leadership, awesome choreography, and an overall excellent attitude.” Because of the change of head coach, the Dance Team has done a lot of practicing.

“We have been working really hard. We have practiced since the beginning of summer,” said Vanessa. Ashlyn added, “We have a lot more rookies this year, so we have to practice to make sure we are all up to speed. We typically practice three to five times a week, for two and a half hours per practice.” Senior Becca Love said, “We practice in the Green Room [the wrestling room].” “Sometimes, wrestling interferes with our practice, but we try to divide it [the room] half and half,” said senior captain Mikala Burr.

All of the practice has been leading to the Dance Team’s first official performance under their new coach. At the upcoming Jingle Ball, “you can expect to see all our field dances plus a few Christmas specials,” Mikaela said. “There will also be a few guest performers, the CCHS Glee Club and the St. Michael’s – which is a parochial kindergarten through eighth grade school in Poway – Dance Team,” said Vanessa.

“Unfortunately the Mance Team will not be performing at the Christmas show, but they are expected to perform at the spring concert and possibly at the prom rally,” said Becca. The Mance team is the Male Dance Team, made up exclusively of athletes. The Mance Team does “less sexy, but more healthy” dances, according to Mance Team Member and football star Ray Smith.

“It has been a successful year so far,” said Mikala. Becca added, “We hope the community supports us. We want to set an example for the CCHS and Dance Community as a whole.” Said Ashlyn, “We want to work together as a team and continue to succeed throughout the year.”