Club week gives Dons chance to “be one as a community”

Club week gives Dons chance to be one as a community

Alice E, Staff Writer

Club Week, a popular and much anticipated time for Cathedral students, was held for four days, starting September 23rd. During lunch, students gathered around the “mulch-y” knoll to learn more about, sign up for, and eat food from about twelve clubs each day. An engaging time for Cathedral students, clubs show off students’ creativity, leadership, and service in the community.

With almost fifty different clubs this year, Cathedral students have quite a wide variety to choose from. While some clubs center more around service and specific causes, such as the Rady Children’s Hospital Club, others are made primarily to have fun and bring people with common interests together, like Frost, Eat, Sing, a club for students to sing and decorate cupcakes. Sophomore Karyn Carreon said, “[Clubs] really bring people together. I think it’s a great idea to [join] at least one or two clubs.”

So what exactly are clubs, and what is the point of them? As it turns out, some students aren’t entirely sure. “I don’t really know much about clubs!” freshman Diego Vildosola admits.

At Cathedral, clubs are groups of people united under a common interest or passion. Karyn adds, “It’s what they have interest in, or maybe even want to pursue.” As a requirement, clubs must have at least ten members, meet twice a month, participate in the Spring Carnival, and host a lunchtime activity for all Cathedral students to enjoy.

To join a club, students have to sign up at the club table during Club Week, although many clubs will allow students to come to a meeting with a friend during the year. “I like Club Week because I have the opportunity to check out clubs that I didn’t sign up for the previous year, and I also get to learn more about the new ones,” Karyn said.

One of the most attractive parts of Club Week to the students is the plethora of free food, provided by the club leaders in an effort to attract students to learn more about their clubs.

“Club week is fun and exciting,” said Caroline Witt, a sophomore, “and you eat a lot of food!” From grabbing some free candy during club week to snacking at club meetings, food is almost always seen as a club bonus from a student’s perspective.

While food is a big incentive, some believe that it just causes problems. “Some clubs have food to lure people in, but the food doesn’t even have to do with the club,” said Karyn. “It should at least have to do with the topic.”

Overall, clubs are very important and fun parts of CCHS community, and show off students’ creativity. They continuously bring students together, encourage leadership, promote student interaction, and are good additions to college applications.

Karyn said, “Clubs help our students learn together, be one as a community, and be part of the Dons family.”