Art and drama departments showcase students’ talent

Art and drama departments showcase students talent

Megan Badilla, Editor-in-Chief

Last week marked one of the most eventful of the year for Cathedral Catholic’s Art Department. Monday night was the Performing Arts Concert, and Tuesday night was the opening of the annual Art Show. Both events were executed without any notable issues.

At the Performing Arts Concert, music and drama classes got the opportunity to showcase their talents to parents and students who attended the event. Senior and bass player Jorge DaSilva was one of the talents showcased. He performed with senior Casey Shugarman, and together they covered songs such as the Beatles’ “Come Together,” Dave Matthews Band’s “Another Glass of Wine,” and Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive.”

“We killed it,” said DaSilva.

Members from Schola, such as Lanza Attisha, Justin Haupt, and Talon Stark, also got the opportunity to sing in front of the crowd.

Last Tuesday night, the Guadalupe Theater drew in a crowd of students, parents, and faculty for the opening night of the Art Show. Walking in, viewers were welcomed by an easel holding the original piece that the Art Show brochures were made of. This piece was a watercolor image, and was the work of junior Hartley Franklin.

Further inside, visitors to the art show were treated to assorted refreshments. Some of the snacks offered included cookies, crackers, tortilla wraps, and drinks.

Looking around, it was clear that the art was the primary focus of the room. The walls were covered in artwork from the Beginning, Advanced, and AP Studio Art classes, as well as 3D Design classes. With so many classes and so much artwork, the walls beneath the pieces were barely visible.

The AP Studio Art class, made up of junior Sue Bae, junior Mary Backes, senior Megan Badilla, senior Abby Devins, and senior Selena Norman, had the majority of one wall to themselves, as their Concentration pieces were displayed in their entirety. The subjects that the young artists chose varied from self-portraits to cups.

Perhaps the most dynamic pieces of the show were from the 3D Design classes. The pieces varied from classic ceramic sculptures to the more unusual materials, such as Danny Harris’ wave made of pennies.

The opportunity to see the work of CCHS’ aspiring artists was eye-opening for many of the Art Show visitors. “I never knew how much talent was present in our school,” said junior Atticus McCoy. “It’s amazing to think that some of these artists, my classmates, have the potential to be featured in real-life art museums in the near future.”