Catholic Schools Week “Raises the Standards”

Catholic Schools Week Raises the Standards

As a way to celebrate the joys of a Catholic education, Catholic Schools Week takes place annually during the last week of January.  This year, the week of January 27th to February 2nd will be dedicated to honoring the unique educational and spiritual opportunities offered by Catholic schools around the nation.

The principal of Cathedral Catholic High School Mr. Mike Deely, who attended Point Loma’s very own St. Charles Borromeo Academy and the University of San Diego High School, believes Catholic Schools Week presents the perfect opportunity to recognize the wonderful opportunities Catholics have in America.

“One of the most important parts of Catholic Schools Week is commemorating teachers, particularly the nuns,” he said. “Without them, these wonderful schools wouldn’t have been possible.” He went on to joke about more schools needing to be named after nuns.

Aside from honoring our wonderful teachers and faculty at Cathedral Catholic with private events scheduled throughout the week, Catholic Schools Week also serves as a way to celebrate our own tight knit community of students.

Another product of Catholic school education, Ms. Margaret Mauro, assistant principal at CCHS, enjoys seeing the events our Campus Ministry coordinates for the week.

This year, there will be morning prayers and class masses led by Campus Ministry, CCTV segments showing the joys of going to a Catholic school, professions of faith by some upperclassmen, and rallies.

Some of the most anticipated events of the week are the intramural competitions. “People who went to the same Catholic middle school can get together again, form a team, and compete against their previous middle school rival teams. It’s always a lot of fun!” said Ms. Mauro.

If you didn’t attend a Catholic middle school, don’t worry, you can join another team with your friends.  The intramural games are all about getting together as a community, celebrating our togetherness, and having fun.

The theme for this year’s Catholic Schools Week is “Catholic Schools Raise the Standards,” which promotes the idea of Catholic schools having high standards in academics and conduct.  With its caring staff and tight-knit student body, Cathedral Catholic may very well be representative of the multitude of Catholic middle schools that make up the student body.