ASL, Glee clubs to perform together at The Knoll Friday

Lunch on December 6th marked the first meeting between the ASL and Glee clubs to practice their dual singing and signing performance, which is scheduled to take place  at ‘The Knoll’ this Friday, during Cultural Awareness Week, as well as the Spring Carnival. The purposes of this performance, says Mr. Dano Kaufmann, ASL teacher and co-club moderator with Mrs. Kathy Garcia, are, “Visual and auditory entertainment combined with a cultural awareness of ASL & Deaf culture, as well as the creative capacity of our diverse student body.”

Despite such a weighty mission, a casual atmosphere permeated the classroom as students snacked at desks and a cheerful sign occupying the whiteboard welcomed both clubs.

Both clubs have been practicing “All I Want for Christmas” in the style of Mariah Carey and “Mighty to Save,” the latter of which played in the background. Before long, Mr. Kaufmann rallied the signers to the front while the singers stayed seated, and though the first time around lacked enthusiasm, by the end, both clubs were signing and singing without the aid of background music.

The students aren’t the only eager ones, though, since the origin of this collaboration of clubs began with Mr. Kaufmann’s own enthusiasm for ASL. After discovering his passion for signing to music by creating YouTube videos interpreting popular songs into ASL, and eventually signing on stage at live concerts with the same musicians, Mr. Kaufmann now teaches his students to sign to their favorite songs. Mr. Kaufmann believes that his students share his enjoyment for signing and said, “Students just love signing to music, and during liturgy to songs and prayers, as well as during clubs and after school when they are signing to songs that they simply adore.”

The Glee club was also interested in combining music and ASL. Ms. Katie Wilson, Drama teacher and Glee club moderator, said, “We love collaborating with anyone.” She also added that they are always looking for new ways to express emotion, and, with last year’s success, they were keen to continue this partnership.

Both teachers agree that the concept of collaboration was mutual, but as it can be imagined with club, teacher, and student schedules to manage, finding time to meet can become a challenge. Despite this, the clubs were successful in meeting at lunch and after school, and Ms. Wilson said, “I’m glad we can find the time to work together.”

“The talented singers of Miss Wilson’s Glee club and the combination of our talented ASL signers makes a beautifully pleasing visual and auditory experience for all to enjoy,” said Mr. Kaufmann.]

Students will get their chance to enjoy this dual performance at Cultural Awareness Week, where ASL figures in a big way. “ASL is the third most used language in the United States. It is estimated that 11% of the population is deaf, and so many people are dependent on American Sign Language as their means of communication. American Deaf culture is very rich, and uses ASL as their prideful language,” said Mr. Kaufmann.