Star Gala funds programs, gives prizes, earns spirit dress

The Star Gala, Cathedral Catholic High School’s largest annual fundraiser, will be held on February 5, 2011 at the Hilton San Diego in Del Mar.  The purpose of the event is to raise funds for Cathedral’s many academic and extracurricular programs. The gala also provides an opportunity for students to earn one day of Spirit Dress.

The gala is planned and organized each year by a committee of parent volunteers coordinated through Cathedral’s Development Office and headed by Mrs. Antoinette Moriarty, Director of Development.

According to Mrs. Moriarty, over 300 people, mostly parents and friends of CCHS, typically attend the event, which includes a formal sit-down dinner, live music by Kicks, a drawing, a silent auction, and a live auction.

Because prizes and items are donated, all proceeds raised from the auction and the sales of drawing tickets go directly to the school’s program fund.

There is a very large array of auction items including spa visits,  restaurant gift certificates, gourmet wine, hot air balloon rides, and hotel weekend getaways. Back again this year is the Tuition Drawing for which 300 tickets are sold.  The winner receives one year free tuition for his or her Cathedral student.

Students whose parents purchase a Tuition Drawing ticket or donate an auction item worth $50 or more by December 10th will receive one day of Spirit Dress next semester. Tickets can be purchased on the Cathedral website under the Development tab.

In past years, the event has carried a particular theme. The 2011 event, however, is simply dubbed the Star Gala, so, according to Mrs. Moriarty, “We’re having stars, and there’s a black and white motif with touches of yellow. It’s going to be great.”

Helping to underwrite the Star Gala, which assists in offsetting the cost of putting on the event, are corporate sponsors who decide they want recognition and signage.  Supporting these types of fundraising causes is a good form of advertising for corporations, and sometimes families, and provides a means for sponsors to give back to the local community.  This year the William and Catherine Scripps Family Foundation is the Star Gala’s largest sponsor.

For more information on the 2011 Star Gala, contact the Cathedral Development Office at (858) 523-400 extension 1119.