Skip the Track, Head for the Pool (Lifeguarding PE)

If you still have PE credits to complete, the ife guarding PE course could be an option. It is a semester course offered by Coach Dawn Roberts to Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors.

For the whole first semester, the students enrolled in life guarding PE swim from 1500 to 2000 yards per class period, and complete various types of “saves.” This means that students will learn to save drowning victims in pools, taking turns playing either the drowning or saving role.

Also, once a week, these soon-to-be lifeguards will run the mile. Every class period will either consist of laps and saving, or classwork in the weight room.

The requirements for this class are very simple and easy to meet. All you need is a swimsuit, good effort, and a great attitude.

The semester ends with a written and practical final. The written part is based on the learned classwork, and the practical section includes saving drowning dummies.

Coach Roberts clarified that “All my students are dummies, in more ways than one.”

This course is designed by the Red Cross, so if a student passes with at least an 80%, he or she will become a certified life guard. With this certification, the students can begin life guarding at pools as their job.