Students help choose new uniform options

Cathedral Catholic is considering a change in uniform for next year.  Last Wednesday, November 10th, select students were able to show off some new styles.

The school’s current contract with Sue Mills Uniforms will expire after this year, so administration is looking into Dennis Uniforms as the new provider. Assistant Dean of Students Mrs. Marlena Conroy said, “We were looking for a company that carried the Dickies style pants, and Dennis Uniforms offers that. I feel bad for the girls who are currently uncomfortable in the Sue Mills pants, but there’s not much else to wear on cold days.”

Though there may be a change next school year, the uniforms that are currently worn would still be permitted and sold as part of Cathedral’s dress code.

Female students on a selected dress code committee were notified last Tuesday to pick up a new uniform style and wear it to school on Wednesday. Male students on the committee will have the opportunity to test out the new uniform styles later on this week.

The dress code committee at Cathedral Catholic consists of 13 girls and 7 boys from all four grade levels. Mrs. Conroy said, “I picked students who had expressed an interest in the uniform and would give me an honest opinion about what they thought. I’ll welcome anyone who has a strong opinion or interest, though.”

The majority of positive feedback regarded the shorts and pants. Junior Mollie Stehly who wore the navy blue Dickies styled pants said, “They were really comfortable for uniform pants and fit really well. I got a lot of positive feedback from girls of all grades. I think they would be a good addition to the uniforms, and I would definitely wear them again.”

The plaid gray, black, and green skirt also drew a lot of attention. “I thought they were a refreshing new style for Cathedral, seeing that our other skirts get old after a while,” laughed senior Angela Bolanos.

Another new aspect to go along with these skirts is the possibility of putting a logo on the bottom of skirts. This would prevent the skirts from being able to be hemmed to shorter length.

As of now, no formal contract has been signed, but the door to change is wide open.  Mrs. Conroy said, “I’m excited about the students really liking the new styles and finding out their perspective.”

To find out what students who wore the new styles for a day thought, the administration distributed to them a survey that contained questions regarding feedback. The survey also asked what they liked and disliked about the considered styles.

www.dennisuniforms.com

View Comments (2)

• K

kaylinDec 1, 2010 at 3:48 PM

The gray plaid skirts would wash out pale people like me :/

Reply
  • D

DonNov 20, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Here’s a strong opinion for ya: the gray plaid skirts are hideous. It would be better a shade or two darker…but how about an all-navy or all-black skirt? A black and white plaid would be to die for.

Reply