2010 Homecoming “bigger and better”

On October 22nd, Cathedral students and faculty gathered in the gym for the homecoming rally and later gathered in Manchester Stadium for the homecoming football game. All day, an excited air rose from the Cathedral campus and students giddily counted minutes until the rally, which was just before lunch.

Filled with school spirit, the whole student body filled the gym as ASB was waited with an array of toylike attractions to fit the theme “Dons R Us.” The eye-catching decorations included a giant Barbie car, different life-sized toy boxes, and many toys being played with by certain ASB members.

Before the rally, ASB President, Teddy Repko said, “We hope to make the rally bigger and better than last year, and in doing that, we hope to make the crowd louder than last year.”

This desire was achieved as the senior class came equipped with whistles, mega-phones, and cow bells as sound magnifiers and shut out all the other classes in the “our house” competition at the end of the rally. Various exciting incidents happened to make the rally “bigger and better” including the introduction of the homecoming court, dance and cheer team performances, and funny ASB skits. At one point, five male members of ASB came out and performed a well-rehearsed dance to “Bye Bye Bye” by N*sync.

“All the students whenever we need help are always willing to help us out,” said Repko.

Along with the rally came the homecoming game later that night. At 7pm Cathedral gathered once again for the football game.

Cathedral won the game 31-15 which made spirits even higher for homecoming weekend. On top of the win, at half-time the cheer and dance teams performed and the homecoming queen and king were announced. Olivia Oriendine and Corey Garcia represented their senior class and school as this year’s king and queen.

Sophomore Michaela Murrah summed up both the rally and the game by saying, “The rally was really up-beat and better than last year’s, and the game was awesome.” Sophomore John McCready added, “The game was loads of fun, and it was great to see them win!”

Friday the 22nd was a busy day for Cathedral, but it was also a day filled with lively, Dons-spirited memories never to be forgotten. From the kick of rally to the win in the football game, homecoming Friday was a day to remember.