Blood Drive for Injured CC Grads

Derek Thomas, a graduate of Cathedral Catholic High School in 2010, and 2005 graduate Drew Delis were both burned in a recent car accident in which 2010 graduates Amanda Post and Natalie Nield were killed. The recovery for burn victims is a long road, and many blood transfusions are needed to keep the body of the victim clean. The Cathedral Catholic community has been working long and hard to help support Derek, Drew, and their families by having blood drives through the San Diego Blood Bank, in addition to other collections.

These drives have taken place both on and off the Cathedral campus. Accounts with the Blood Bank have been set up in both Derek’s and Drew’s names to help offset costs for the family and to make available enough blood of the right type for the victims.

“The San Diego Blood Bank in particular has been a really big help giving us their support,” Principal Michael Deely said. Although the San Diego Blood Bank sponsored the drives, many people have gone to their local blood banks and have given blood for both Drew and Derek.

Along with blood drives, many fundraisers have been held to collect money in support of Derek, Amanda, and Natalie. At Cathedral’s first home football game, the money raised  came from a donation of two dollars from every ticket sold, a special collection, and a fifty-fifty raffle. The Cathedral Catholic student store is selling wristbands; for a limited time, the store sold t-shirts to raise money for Derek and Drew.

“This has been helpful for us just to remember how we are a family. We have to look out for each other,” Principal Deely said. Not only Cathedral families have contributed; many have given, including Torrey Pines High School, Jewish synagogues, Our Lady of Peace High School, Leucadia Pizzeria, and others in the community.

The blood drives and fundraisers for Derek Thomas and Drew Delis will continue to occur throughout their recovery.