Galaxy saved…again

CCHS moviegoers give Guardians of the Galaxy positive reviews despite some critics saying the Marvel movie sequel does not quite equal the original.

Tripp Davidson, Staff Writer

When top brass at Marvel Studios gambled on director James Gunn and The Guardians of the Galaxy, they probably did not expect the series would gross them more than $700 million worldwide and spawn a sequel that ranks as one of 2017’s most anticipated movies.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, once again helmed by James Gunn, picks up right where its predecessor left off, showcasing the witty dialogue, top notch special effects, and retro music that made audiences fall in love with Starlord and the rest of the team.

Mentioning the movies’ similar plots and effects, Cathedral Catholic High School student Joseph Najjar ‘17 adds that he thinks the sequel is a great movie on its own.

“I loved the [sequel] just like the first,” Najjar said. “I like how they kept the same vibes as before, but didn’t just use the same old jokes. They made something new and it is special.”

One of the most important ways that Guardians Vol. 2 keeps the same feel as the first movie is by keeping together the star-studded cast, which features Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, and Bradley Cooper, as well as bringing in new faces such as veteran actors Kurt Russell and Sylvester Stallone. The chemistry these actors display on screen together is a joy to behold.

The recasting of Dave Bautista as Drax is a big improvement. Bautista consistently left the audience around me roaring with laughter.

Vin Diesel reprised his role as baby Groot. In fact, one criticism of the movie is that Groot was not featured enough.

“Baby Groot was adorable,” Najjar said. “However, I wish he was in more scenes.”

CCHS student Mary Coen ’18 shares a similar stance.

“Baby Groot is the cutest thing ever,” she said.

A common gripe with Marvel’s movies is that the villains are often cliched and cookie cutter. However, casting Kurt Russell as the villain in this movie is a great panacea, creating conflicts that broaden character arcs and development possibilities.

Michael Rooker as Yondu, a side character in the first movie, takes a much more prominent role in this film, and he is arguably the best part of the movie, adding depth to the movie, making it more than just a funny popcorn flick.

After making more than $140 million in its opening weekend, Guardians Vol. 2 is undoubtedly a huge success, but how is Marvel able to sell a franchise of characters the average moviegoer would never have heard of?

CCHS student Andrew Hunt ’18 offers an answer.

“Since the first Iron Man movie, Marvel has been making the best action blockbusters around,” Hunt said. “They got us on board with them with The Avengers and Captain America, and then were able to give us something more obscure like Guardians of the Galaxy after getting us to trust them.”

With movies already scheduled until 2019, and no apparent plans of stopping, Marvel is not going to be leaving or movie theaters anytime soon as long as they keep making them as enjoyable as Guardians Vol. 2.

“Marvel has the film industry in the palm of their hands,” Hunt said. “They have a record of consistently making great movies. At this point, they could show me anything, and I, along with millions of others, would go to see it.”