Native American Cultural Awareness Club to “fix cultural perceptions”

Members of the Native

Members of the Native

Alice E, Staff Writer

The majority of students at Cathedral Catholic identify themselves as American; however, very few of them can truthfully identify themselves as Native Americans. In a society obsessed with and often dominated by a changing American culture, it is as though many people have lost the cultural background of the first American people. The Native American Cultural Awareness Club strives to educate members and promote interest among Cathedral students about the country’s true roots.

Senior Nighteagle Taylor, the club’s president, is very enthusiastic about his club. As the only Native American in the club itself, he is determined to “inform people about the Native American culture and give members the opportunity to] enjoy it.”

He started the club with his friend and co-leader, senior Karl Schlaht. The two leaders are determined to create an interesting club for students. After the boys’ idea for a film club was denied by administration last year, it did not discourage them from trying to begin another club on campus. Taylor and Schlaht were thrilled when Native American Cultural Awareness Club was approved this year.

Nighteagle Taylor initially wanted to create the club because he noticed some people were very ill-informed and even ignorant about Native American culture. “People don’t run across them [Native Americans] that often,” Nighteagle said. “People have different perceptions that are not entirely accurate, so we decided to try to fix those perceptions.”

The club is brand new, the very first of its kind promoting Native American awareness at school. The club hosts a variety of entertaining activities, and its leaders hope to have many members actively involved in the club. Projects, movies, and group discussions are just a few proposal ideas the club has for 2015. “We want to make it as fun for everyone as possible,” Nighteagle said.

As with many other clubs, Nighteagle and Karl plan to make food a large part of the meetings. Although they didn’t have any classic Native American food during club week (many students might remember them as the club giving out free donuts), the club leaders intend on making a few essential Native American foods during the year. Rice, beans, and even some unfamiliar, exotic foods are to be made for the club. “We want to make Indian Fry Bread,” said Nighteagle. “It’s a staple of Native American food.”

With the many clubs offered to CCHS students, Nighteagle admits it can be difficult competition among cultural clubs such as his. “It’s hard to be original,” he said. Even so, he encourages CCHS students to start clubs of their own, saying that it is certainly worth it despite the difficulties leaders might face in the beginning if their club gets denied. “If you want to start a club,” he said, “go for it!”
The Native American Cultural Awareness Club is open to new members, and they meet every Gold 4 in Ms. Melissa Padgett’s room.