Mrs. Roxanne Benson joins CCHS counseling department

Diana Maldonado, Staff Writer

Over the past few months, there have been several changes to the Cathedral Catholic Community including new teachers, new mulch, and new counselors. One of the new additions to the counseling department is Mrs. Roxanne Benson, a former school counselor from Phoenix, Arizona.

Before moving to sunny Arizona, Mrs. Benson grew up in Wisconsin on a family farm. Her small hometown in Wisconsin consisted of a mere 2000 people – a number that most colleges exceed in undergraduate students alone. Looking for a new experience, Mrs. Benson left her small town to go to college in central Michigan. After that, she attended a school in Ottawa to get her Masters. Mrs. Benson then received two Masters, one in education and another in clinical therapy.

Mrs. Benson wants to continue working with children, but for her future, she plans to use her clinical therapy degree in relation to behavioral health. “I’ll do that when I’m old and not good with kids anymore,” said Mrs. Benson. “But that’s a long ways away.”

Mrs. Benson and her family moved to San Diego on June 1st for her husband’s job. Her kids, Elaina, eight, and Lylah, four, are in school while both Mrs. Benson and her husband work. She and her family have come to “really love San Diego,” but Mrs. Benson still hasn’t found her perfect hairdresser here. She waits until she goes back to Arizona to get her hair cut by her usual hairdresser.

Aside from struggling with her hair, Mrs. Benson said that she loves everything else about San Diego. She especially loves Cathedral and being a part of the Dons community. “I really like the focus that the school places on the students,” she said. Besides the beach, one of Mrs. Benson’s favorite things is watching her students overcome obstacles. Mrs. Benson said that she is “looking forward to being a part of our community for a long time to come.”